Checked our current cds. Went to the web site on CD. Knew we were out of date on CDs. Called BP to get refresh at no charge. $30 to expedite, free refresh as we were already an existing customers. Also sent required PTFs to my operator to make sure they can get on before we install.
Started going back to iSeriesNews and the printed publication and actually READING the articles that George and Phil from IBM have written on WDSc.
Installed WDSCe client. Started at 11:37 am. Spent a few minutes running through the README files, which I rarely do. I found it was easy to get to the minimum/recommended requiremets sections as the README procewss is a web document instead of a text file. I answered a few calls and walked away from the desk a couple of times so I might have not answered the buttons as often as I could have but the WebSphere install part took until 12:05 and estimated 1.46meg.
The next part of the install was for Code/400, VaRPG and iSeries extensions. That part of the install estimated it needed ~500 meg. The second part of the install took until 12:38 to complete. I did not select to install HATS, which was another option.
All in all, the install took about 1 hour, but there were no gotchas, no lockups.
When finished, I rebooted and was glad to see only one new XP menu option installed. I hate when one install created multiple new menus in XP and you have to figure out which ones are the new ones.
I'm not much of a manual reader, I just go! I started the client. The first time it took 1 minute to start up. But, I could quickly see that this was not code/400! On the left side a navigation panel helped me quicly connect to my iServer though I had options to connect to an WinServer, Linus server or iSeries. Nice touch and easy.
Noticed that I don't have the compile option when I right click on any source. When I click on the Compile menu options, it says Compile->Dummy. I think IBM is trying to t...More